March 17, 2009

Pourin' One out for A Homie.

I'm going to lay it down plain and simple this round.

The reason I'm writing is because i've been given 3 hours to search my heart. A short period of time to come up with an excuse? no, a reasoning as to why I should not serve 475 days in County Jail. You see, I just returned from a probation meeting that went as I had not planned. I went in with high hopes and exited with emotional exhaustion. Follow me as I reflect on why I'm looking at over a year of incarceration:

(Before I get started I want to let you know I'm going to try to not bask in my sorrows as much as possible. I don't want to complain or gripe about things that were my wrong doing from the beginning. In no way am I trying to play the innocent card right now and although it's tough to overcome circumstances such as these, "we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us". I speak only the TRUTH.)

For those of you who don't know, i've been on Misdemeanor Probation for over a year now and was sentenced for 2 years. In my prior being I was a bit of an idiot. I used to have a severe drinking problem and out of the million times I drove drunk I was lucky enough to only have gotten caught twice by the Law Enforcement.

This last summer I served 30 days in the County Jail on 2 different occasions, as much of a bummer as it was and is, I believe that the Lord used me and molded me to be someone I'm beyond grateful of being today. In Romans, Chapter 5 v. 3 is says that "Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us."

This verse has non-coincidently become sort of the Anthem of the last 5 years of my life. I love the Lord and I love how He truly does use our sufferings to make us stronger and build our character. So I go into this day with a mindset of gratitude for I know that  whatever happens may be used toward His glory through me and the man of God he's slowly making me. Hallelujah Jesus!

So this is it, 2 hours from this very moment i'll be incarcerated. For how long? I do not know.

I encourage anyone reading this to take a moment, thank the Lord for not only the life he's given us but the freedom. Freedom of choice, opportunity, and the circumstances He puts us in. I encourage you to reflect on things in a joyful way. Sorrows are for the Birds and even though it's 475 days, that's a flicker of light in the glorious spectrum of what God truly has planned for us. 

Amen. Let it be.

Sincerely, Joshua

No comments:

Post a Comment